Skip to main content

Williams

We are truly living through, as it is officially referred to in Switzerland, an extraordinary situation. As the world grapples with the COVid-19 virus, many parents are grappling with how this is impacting their children, which means more than just trying to figure out continuity for education during this crisis. It also means addressing any concerns or anxieties that their children might be having right now.

I remember the first time I realized, as a young teen, that "normal" life could be completely upended by events with a world-wide impact. I felt very unsettled as I learned about World War 1 and World War 2, and realized that adults didn't really have things figured out to the degree I assumed they had.

For the first time, I felt fear on an existential level.

My life-long interest in history is, in my opinion, directly rooted in the desire of young-me to deal with that existential fear by assuring myself, through learning about history, that the world had always encountered crises - the Black Death, world wars, and yes, even pandemics - and somehow humanity had managed each time to find a way through, and forward.

I think the most important thing we as adults can give to children and young people right now is that knowledge. To help them understand that humanity and society has periodically faced challenges on a global level, and has managed to survive, and find ways to thrive again, after they pass. It's important for young people to believe that there will be a "normal" again after this crisis passes, however long it takes for that new normal to arrive.

Books can help with this, so I'd like to recommend a book for middle grade readers,
the wonderful Palace Beautiful by Sarah DeFord Williams. In this book, a contemporary young teenage girl, Sadie, finds an old diary when her family moves into a new home. The diary was written by a girl about her age during the flu pandemic of 1917-1918. The book tells two stories, the contemporary story of sisters Sadie and ZuZu, and their friend Bella, and that of Helen, who wrote the diary during the pandemic.

I've always loved this book, for a variety of reasons, but one of them is particularly relevant in this moment: it lets young readers know that even though sometimes big, scary things like pandemics happen, they also pass. As Sadie, ZuZu and Bella discover what happened to Helen after the last diary entry, young readers learn that there is life to look forward to after significant events, like pandemics, end. That there is, indeed, a new normal.

Wishing everyone safe, and well.

cover of the middle grade book Palace Beautiful by Sarah DeFord Williams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday: Welcome to the Party!

There is so much happening in our world right now, it can be hard to take it all in. In these times, more than ever, I am grateful for poetry.  Sometimes I write it.  Sometimes I have no words of my own, so I read and reflect on the poetic words of others.  Either way, poetry helps me process my thoughts and feelings about the world and my experiences in it. My poetic offering today is a poem I wrote earlier this spring, on a rare day when my husband had to go to the office for an in-person meeting and I took our usual lunchtime walk alone.  I am a creature of habit, but on that day I challenged myself to break routine and change direction, and this poem was the result. Today I go against the grain, turn left  Instead of right, Let the path take me away from home Instead of towards it. Today I go against the grain, go up the slope I usually walk down. Climbing uses different muscles Than descent. Today I go with the grain, walk downstream Instead of up, Walk with the flow, Instead of a

Poetry Friday: Story Cubes Poems "Plot Problems"

 Welcome to Poetry Friday! Our host this week is Mary Lee. She's shared a wonderful poem of her own, one by Sandra Cisneros, a video and more in her post. You can find all that poetic goodness and links to the other participating poets over here on her blog. My Story Cubes poetry prompt this week had me a little stumped at first. In addition to trying to write fast, I'm also challenging myself to keep the order of the dice in my poem. So if the cauldron comes first, I'm trying to make it first thing I mention. Either I like multi-dimensional chess, or I like making things challenging for myself. Or maybe both! Here are this week's prompts: And here is my poem. Plot Problems First I drew a cauldron Bubbling full of poisoned brew. Then I drew a hungry hero Now I don’t know what to do. hmmm . . . .  I know how to fix this! Draw one big foot, then two. Run fast, my big foot hero! Go find some barbecue. © 2025, Elisabeth Norton, all rights reserved What about you? Have you

Poetry Friday: Neurodiversity Poems

In our family, we do a lot of thinking about thinking, because we are all neurodiverse (autism and ADHD). We're often engaged in discussions about how our neurodiversity influences the way we experience the world. From how we socialize to how we organize ourselves to complete tasks, our neurodiversity is a factor in everything we do and every experience we have. This week I decided to try to use poetry to express the experience of having ADHD. Although ADHD, like autism, can be characterized by the ability to hyperfocus on a topic or task for an extended period of time, the characteristic that is most commonly associated with ADHD is difficulty in sustaining attention .  In my attempt to express this latter aspect of the ADHD experience I ended up with two poems, both of which use the same metaphor. One is an almost-haiku (haiku-esque?) that's missing a syllable on the middle line, one is free verse. I'd love to know if you have a preference - let me know in the comments!